The Secretariat is the main permanent executive body of the SCO and fulfills the following duties:
1. Coordinates and provides informational, analytical, legal, organisational and technical support of the activity of the Organisation, in conjunction with the SCO RATS formulates proposals concerning the development of cooperation in the SCO framework and external ties of the Organisation, oversees the fulfillment of decisions adopted by the SCO bodies.
2. In interaction with Permanent Representatives composes draft documents based on proposals of the member states and with the consent of the Council of National Coordinators circulates them among the member states for further consideration by the SCO institutions, including draft agendas of forthcoming meetings and/or sessions of the SCO institutions, as well as necessary materials; agrees dates and venues of meetings and/or sessions of the SCO institutions.
Materials and documents mentioned in the given paragraph are forwarded to the member states not later than 20 days before the start of meetings and/or sessions of the SCO institutions, if no other date is specified.
3. In interaction with the Council of National Coordinators arranges consultations of experts of the member states on draft documents submitted to meetings and/or sessions of the SCO institutions for their consideration.
4. Provides organisational and technical support of meetings and/or sessions of the SCO institutions in accordance with the relevant regulations and in interaction with the state hosting such meeting.
5. Carries out the duty of a depositary of documents adopted in the SCO framework, certifies and forwards to the member states certified copies of such documents, as well as to the SCO RATS (if the latter concerns it).
Certified copies of documents adopted in the SCO framework are handed out to Permanent Representatives within 7 days after the Secretariat has received original documents.
6. Prepares and publishes Secretariat information catalogues, manages the website of the Secretariat and coordinates its contents with that of the website of the SCO RATS and the SCO Regional Economic Cooperation website.
Holds regular briefings for representatives of print and internet media.
7. Carries out preliminary legal and financial assessment of draft treaties and regulations drawn up in the SCO framework.
8. In conjunction with the SCO RATS composes a general plan of the Organisation's activities for the following six months.
9. Has the right to request the member states to provide reference books and other open materials for working needs of the SCO institutions.
10. Ensures protocol support of the Secretary-General's activity.
11. In interaction with the SCO RATS conducts contacts with states and international organisations with regard to issues of the Organisation's activity, and with the consent of the member states concludes respective documents to that end.
12. With the consent of the Council of National Coordinators and in interaction with the SCO RATS coordinates the Organisation's cooperation with observers and dialogue partners in line with the legal documents of the SCO.
13. Interacts with non-governmental structures in the SCO framework in accordance with the legal documents regulating their activity and the Secretariat Regulations.
14. With the consent of the member states and within budgetary limits recruits experts on the basis of single term contract for conducting a research activity on issues of specific concern to the SCO, as well as organises workshops and conferences.
15. Arranges and coordinates the activity of the SCO Observer Mission in accordance with the Regulations on SCO Observer Mission in presidential and/or parliamentary elections, as well as referendums.